RSS

Microwaving a dish sponge can kill 99% of bacteria


I use sponge to wash our dishes since we don't have a dishwasher-one of the things I wish we have sometimes when I am not in the mood to wash dishes manually; with my tired hands. We have a very small kitchen though, so perhaps someday anyway. As for what I am talking about; kitchen sponges. Well, I recently learned that microwaving a sponge for a minute or two can kill off 99% of bacteria. I never knew that until I saw it on television. It really does help, because our dish sponge seems clean and doesn't smell so bad. When I didn't microwave our dish sponge before, my, I couldn't even stand the smell of it and could only use it a few times then throw it away because of the smell and the fact that it is loaded with all kinds of germs.
By the way, for those of you that still live primitive like where I came from; I would suggest that if you are using sponge to wash dishes, sterilizing your sponge or material that you use to wash your dishes might help with minimizing bacteria from loading your sponge. You can boil it in hot water instead. I am sure it will work just like when you have a baby, you boil the baby bottles to make sure they are clean and bacteria free.
Now for those that has a microwave, let me tell you how to kill the bacteria off your dish or kitchen sponges:

1. Wash you sponge in hot water with dish soap
2. Squeeze out the excess water not to leave it dripping wet
3. Put in the the microwave for at least two minutes, though a minute is fine.
4. Leave it in the microwave for a while to let it cool off
5. Lastly, wear latex gloves to take it out of the microwave and use it.

Oh, yeah, I use latex gloves to wash the dishes to avoid making my nails crack and break so easily. Using my bare hands while washing our dishes sometimes makes my nails so brittle. So I try to protect my nails by using gloves when washing dishes, though there are dish washing soaps formulated to protect your delicate hands making them soft and smooth. I usually use warm warm to wash our dishes then rinse them with cold water-that is how I wash our dishes, like washing clothes...LOL.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment